Monday, April 27, 2015

April 27th,2015: New Companion, Elder Beticon and Learning Hard Lessons in Exact Obedience

Hey!
Transfers were this week and Elder Gan got transferred, so I have a new companion.  His name is Elder Beticon, and I am super excited because he is awesome.  He is such a like-able guy.  All of the members already love him.  Its kind of funny though because Elder Gan is companions again with Elder Kellerstrass.  They are opening a new area together.  Funny huh?
Our new companionship is going really well so far though.  Elder Beticon is so good in lessons.  He is so in tune with the Spirit.  I'm so excited for the next couple of months!  haha.  We had an experience last night with a old couple who was baptized about 4 years ago I think, but they have been less active for a long time now.   We started teaching them and we asked them if they have enjoyed their experience as members so far.  Of course they said yes and then we asked them why they decided to become members of the church.  They started saying how they loved the missionaries and they were so polite and funny and kind.  The Nanay also said that she was Catholic before and she didn't notice any differences between Catholicism and Mormonism and they liked the members more in our church then the people in their Catholic church so they decided to switch over.   She said that she still prays to Mary!  I couldn't believe it.  It wasn't because she didn't actually believe, but because she didn't know better. Elder Beticon leaned over to me and said that he is so mad at the missionaries who baptized this lady because it was clear that they had taken advantage over them in order to get a baptism.  This lady was not converted.  She thought that Catholics and Mormons were pretty much the same thing. It was really sad.  I'm really excited to continue working with this family though.  I know that we can help them become converted.  
So, our mission kind of had an experience this week that opened our eyes of why we need to be exactly obedient.  This week we had MLC again in Iloilo for all of the zone leaders and sister training leaders.  It is a two day conference, so after the first night, we all went to nearby apartments to sleep.  Usually the office Elders use the mission vehicles to all take us to our apartments, but President Aquino changed his mind and told us that we should all just use public transportation to go home, but one the Assistants decided to take two Elders and some of the Sisters just to be a nice guy I guess, but I guess three minutes later, they had hit a motorcyclist and now that man has either past away already or he is still in critical condition.  It's really sad that that has happened, but it is obvious to see that if they would have been obedient, it would have never happened.  President probably had a feeling from the Holy Ghost that we should all take public transportation.  I guess that this experience has helped me recommit to be diligently obedient, even if doing something else makes more sense. 
What else.. oh we had Jaime leave for his mission this week in Laoag.  He slept in our apartment the night before he left because he was set apart.  He is such a good kid and I know he is going to work hard on his mission. 
By the way, I am sorry I don't have as many crazy stories as I did in Culasi.  New Washington is so much more tame.  It's a lot more higher class than Culasi.  We only have about 4 villages or mga barangay that we work in.  No mountians, no rice fields.  I think it might have a lot to do with the fact that I've been here a long time too.  I probably look over a lot of stuff now that would have been crazy to me 6 months ago. haha. 
I did have one experience this week that was so funny to me.  There is this little girl, maybe 2 years old, at one of our investigators house that has always been SO shy from me, but this week I totally got her to open up to me.  I had like a 10 minute conversation with her just by making a noise by moving your tongue in and out of your mouth.  It was soo funny.  It was like a full on conversation for 10 minutes just by making that noise. I took a video of it but it is too long for me to send it too you. You guys will have to watch it when I get home haha.  It makes me laugh every time I watch it though.. too funny. She is my best friend now too.  No longer shy.  

Stuart was very excited about this picture.  This is the baptism of some of his investigators in Culasi that he taught.  it's nice for him to see the fruits of his labors.

"This week was the first time in my life that I have used an umbrella because of the sun. It is so hot right now here.  We all bought these gigantic umbrellas though haha"

No comments:

Post a Comment