Tuesday, September 1, 2015

August 31st, 2015: New Area: TIOLAS!!

HELLO!

So, I might as well start with the biggest news.  Yes, I did get transferred, and my new area is.... drum roll please.... . ... .. ...  Tiolas!!!  Whoo!! So, we have a branch with 4 missionaries.  The Branch is called Tiolas, but the area is really San Joaquin.  I guess when the church first started here, it started in a little barangay called Tiolas, but when they got a building, it was in San Joaquin.  Anyways, I guess it's been a branch for about 20 years now but averages about 40-50 attendance every week.  The missionary work is really struggling right now here, so all that means is we've got a lot of work to do.  I was super excited to transfer this week, but I had no idea where.  In transfer meeting, my name got read off in Tiolas, and I had no idea where that was because I had never really heard of it, I think mostly because the missionary work here is so slow.  My companion is Elder Gomez.  I had met him before once, briefly.  I actually thought he was from America or something because he is so good at English.  He even has an American accent, but apparently he's from Manila. They just spoke English in their house back home.  He's a funny guy though.  When we first got to the apartment he sat down and interviewed me about my philosophies on obedience.  I think that he was just so sick of having disobedient companions or something, but we've started out great.  He's a great guy and really wants to work hard and do things the right way.  
The day before I transferred though, I got sick with something.  I don't really now what's wrong with me, I think I have the flu or something, but that was just terrible timing, because I was all ready to get my new area and I was preparing myself to give a great first impression to my companion and to the branch, and then I got sick, but I've been able to work through it.  It just hasn't been very fun haha.  I'm feeling a little bit better today though.  
Elder Gomez was telling me about how in our area, in the closer areas, it's almost impossible to tract. So, I said ok, let's try it out, and wow, he was so right.  I don't know what has happened or if the people have been put off by the missionaries or something but wow, they do not want to talk to us haha.  I thought New Washington was bad haha.  Our area is really big so we can go tracting out in further areas where the people don't know the missionaries in the meantime, while we are really trying our best to help this branch become more missionary oriented.  
Oh and as far as the language goes here, it's a dialect of Karay-a but almost everybody speaks Ilonggo as well.  But most people will speak Karay-a, but the thing is.  I just realized this week that I really have forgot everything in Karay-a, so it's like starting from zero again, but it's ok. I can understand everyone fine and if all else fails, I can speak Tagalog, the universal language.  
Sorry about the pictures last week too, the computer wasn't working.  I'll try and send some today. 
The weather here is still blazing hot but it rains at least once a day, but not all day. We still haven't got any major typhoons either.  

That's all I got for today.  I'll try and send some pictures 

Love you all!

Elder Robertson




A massive bread fruit!

Bamboo Soup





The bathroom in his new apartment in Tiolas.
Tiolas

No comments:

Post a Comment