Sunday, June 7, 2015

June 1st- Still Being Chased by the Monster in the Jungle and Book of Mormon Placement Challenge

Hello Family!
I'll first answer your questions
Dad: Are kids as obsessed with their cellular devises as Americans are? Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, etc.... Actually yeah, but not as bad as America, I'd say. A lot of kids here obviously don't have any technology, but Facebook and Twitter are pretty big here.  I haven't seen snapchat really. 
Mom: What are you doing about your shoe situation or lack thereof?  I bought a pair of rubber shoes, which like 75 percent of missionaries use here.  I bought them for about the equivalent of 8 dollars.  They should last about 4 months I heard.  
Connor: *He's asleep.  No question from him*
Oliver: What was you latest dream about? Do you ever dream about being in America, or do you ever dream in Hiligaynon?  I actually remember my dream last night.  All I can remember is that I was on some small tropical island (I know, weird, a dream about a tropical island while in the Philippines) and then we were like these futuristic soldiers fighting some people but it was only for training.... basta, I can't really remember my dreams very well. But, yes, apparently, according to other missionaries, I sleep talk in Tagalog and Karay-a and Hiligaynon.  A lot of American missionaries do actually.  
Chloe: What is your favorite verse in the scriptures?  Um, that's really tough to say because I have so many, but I'll share one of the scriptures that I really liked in my studies this week.  Just to give you guys an idea, our personal study schedule changed in this mission lately.  So, we have a goal to read the 4 standard works in one year, which comes out to about 7 pages a day.  So for the first 35 minutes of personal study, we study the assigned 7 pages.  Right now, I'm in Ezekiel... Almost done with the Old Testament!!! Anyways but for the last 25 minutes, we study the Book of Mormon.  It's kind of interesting, we aren't allowed to study any other texts in personal study, just the standard works.  But, I read in Ether 6 about the story of the Jaradites after they had built a boat and they were crossing the waters to go to the promised land.   And it came to pass that when they had prepared all manner of foodthat thereby they might subsist upon the water, and also food for their flocks and herds, and whatsoever beast or animal or fowl that they should carry with them—and it came to pass that when they had done all these things they got aboard of their vessels or barges,and set forth into the sea, commending themselves unto the Lord their God.
 And it came to pass that the Lord God caused that there should be furious wind blow upon the face of the waters,towards the promised land; and thus they were tossed upon the waves of the sea before the wind.
And it came to pass that they were many times buried in the depths of the sea, because of the mountain waves  which broke upon them, and also the great and terrible tempests which were caused by the fierceness of the wind.
 And it came to pass that when they were buried in the deep there was no water that could hurt them, their vessels being tight like unto dish, and also they were tight like unto the ark of Noah; therefore when they were encompassed about by many waters they did cry unto the Lord, and he did bring them forth again upon the top of the waters.
And it came to pass that the wind did never cease toblow towards the promised land while they were upon thewaters; and thus they were driven forth before the wind.
For me, it just seems like to be in that boat would be kind of a terrifying experience, especially when you read verse 6, even though their boat didn't break, but they really didn't have anything to trust in but the Lord.  And they did trust in the Lord.  Even though they had to go through some time in a hand made boat with furious winds and being buried under the sea because of "mountain" waves, in verse 8 it says that the winds never ceased to blow towards the promised lands, and I think that we can learn a lot from this passage about the purposes of hard times or trials in our lives.  In this experience, God gave them trials, but those trials always pointed them in the right direction and lead them to their ultimate goal.  Anyways, you guys can get what I'm getting at, but yeah, that was one of the highlights from my personal study!
So, I had a great week!  It's still wicked hot and humid, but we are approaching the rainy season and also typhoon season, which is supposed to kind of start in June, but we have already had a couple of them. 
By the way, the cat-snake demon thing is there every night...expect for one night, the other two Elders wanted experience it, and it wasn't there, but we have actually figured out that it is actually two different creatures, and one of them is in fact a kitten. The other one, don't really know yet, but that's the one that sounds like a demon that wants to eat our souls.  It's so scary though, and funny at the same time,  we walk by and the kitten starts of really quite and gradually gets louder, meow, meow, meow, meow, and then when you get close, the brush starts rustling and then weird noises happen, and then we just sprint away hahahah.  I don't know.  It's their every night!
So, last week, President Aquino put on the announcements that there had been a Book of Mormon placement record in the mission at 54 Book of Mormons in one week.  We are supposed to give 7 a week, and that's all we are supplied with, but we found out that we have a bunch of English in our apartment which you can't really use, but we used it anyway.  We placed 65 in our area and the other two as well in our apartment, 65.  It was really a kind of a fun week though because, you know us, we took it as a challenge.  Every day, I would just pack my bag with Book of Mormons and then just go out.  We gave a lot to the members to give out as well because I think that might have been the most effective way to use English.  It will help them get excited about missionary work.  Any referrals we get, we can replace with Tagalog when we get cargo.  Anyways, President Aquino said that he would take anybody who could take down the record out to eat at ocean city in Iloilo, which is pretty much the nicest restaurant on this island, so yeah, we are pretty pumped hahah.  
Transfer day is this week, but President Aquino emailed me saying that he looks forward to seeing me at MLC, which is after transfers, which pretty much confirms that I'm SAFE from transferring haha, but we will see. 
Oh, I forgot to tell you last week. Do you guys know who tyler haws is?  He was the star basketball player for BYU the last couple years, and he is way good, he should be drafted into the NBA this draft, but he served his mission here in the Philippines, in Manila.  And he served in a unit where Sister Alberto is from, a sister missionary here in Kalibo.  She says they were pretty good friends especially because he reactivated her Dad in the church.  So pretty cool huh?  And then he gave her his jersey and now she said she's going to give it to me! haha, so I'm pretty pumped.  It's just kind of cool.  
Anyways, that's about all I got for this week. The picture sending thing wasn't working a while ago, but I'll try again.  
Oh, and about college things, if I work before winter semester, it would probably be in Algoma, right?
Elder Robertson


Loading up the Book of Mormons in the pack.




No comments:

Post a Comment