Sunday, January 3, 2016

October 5th, 2015- Challenging Area In Tiolas

Hello!
So, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to send any pictures this week because I think my camera card has a bug from that one week when it deleted all of my pictures.  I don't know.  It just won't read.  I'll have to find Elder Chapman,  so he can help me.  He would know what to do haha.  

So, I used about 2500 pesos on city day, but I still have to buy basketball shoes and some more white shirts.  I think for my white shirts, I'm just going to buy some fabric and then hire a local to sew it into a shirt for me.  It only costs about 5 dollars to make one shirt that way.  I have no idea how much is on the other card.  I'll have to check.  

That fruit that I ate though was really good actually.  It tasted like nothing I've ever tasted before though, therefore, I don't know how to describe it to you haha.  For me, it didn't taste like BO and stinky socks, but maybe it was the same fruit that she tried.  Thailand is kind of close.  

We found out who the new apostles were yesterday.  I know this might be bad, but in our apartment, we had a poster of all the general authorities and we circled our guesses of who we thought would be called.  None of us guessed any right haha. I guess we were just really excited.  I can't wait for conference this week.  We are actually going to play it right here in San Joaquin which is awesome, so our investigators are more likely to come.  I know it will be great and we will learn a lot.  We always do.  

I don't know who I would pick if I had to pick a favorite companion.  I've liked them all, but they all have been challenging to me too.  I guess that's just the way things go.  Elder Gomez is a lot of fun though.  I've certainly enjoyed the couple weeks that I've had with him so far.  He is actually very smart and thinks long and logically about the work.  He is very opinionated too, which is good. It makes him interesting that way. I would say that I have learned the most good things from him than any of my companions yet.  We get along great.

This has been a pretty frustrating transfer as far as the work goes.  When I got here, I didn't really have anybody in the teaching pool.  Since then, we basically have had no investigators at church and nobody has set any goals to be baptized, so yeah, it's been pretty challenging.  This area surprised me haha.  It's pretty difficult, but that's ok.  We are working hard and being obedient so I don't feel any guilt.  We are teaching some awesome people though.  We are teaching the Branch President's parents-in-law, and a couple awesome families.  This Branch has basically been the same size for 20 years.  I could summarize the story of this Branch could be summarized by Alma 4:10.  When you guys read that you'll probably think it's a pretty bad situation haha, it's really not that bad here.  There are a lot of good hearted members, but there has actually been a lot of members here that have apostatized from the church.  Our Branch President is really great, but he said that he thinks that the biggest problem of this branch is the examples of the members.  We always have a little extra time in our day to do a little street contacting and a lot of the time we just can never get anyone to take a chance to really listen to the message I think just because the members that they know in their area don't represent the church very well.  Also the past missionaries in this area have kind of made it hard for us because of their conduct with the members and in public, so yeah.  There is a lot of work to do here haha.  It's a great opportunity for me though to serve here and to grow in my capacity to serve.  I really have learned a lot this transfer.  

By the way, transfer day is this week.  I'll let you all know what happens.  

That's funny that Cindy is back.  I'm sure she let Elder Beticon know.  She really liked us haha.  She's a funny character. 

I hope you have a great week.  Hopefully Oliver's back gets better and chloe and Lacy travels to Utah and California are safe.

Elder Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment